Saturday, January 28, 2012

Wild Hair = DIY project

So as I was sitting at work on Friday I got a wild hair. {Thanks, Pinterest!} I decided that I wanted to paint the laundry room. It's the (your house came this one shade and that's the way it's been for 7+ years) color of off-white whatever. I decided on lime green. Why? Because it goes with turquoise, pink, black, yellow. So many options for accessorizing and such. I kept looking on google.com images of bathrooms and Pinterest as I could the rest of the day. And immediately after work I drove past my house, straight to Lowes. I didn't like any of the shades of green I was seeing and was drawn instead to a lemony yellow. So a quart I got. Thinking that would be enough. It is a small laundry room where the washer and dryer are on opposite sides of the door from the garage and to the kitchen. This small pass through that is a laundry room. {Oh how I dream of a fantastic and large laundry room where I can have containers for each darks, colors, whites, towels, and linens. But that'll never happen in this house, so it will remain in the "someday" dream section of my brain for who knows how long until I might have a different house. No plans on that anytime soon.} While there I also picked up a galvanized metal container in silver/aluminum natural metal color. And off we went, to check out any miscellaneous items I might just "have" to have at Ross. Surprisingly I found none. I did, however, grab a funky rug that I'm thinking I can conveniently pin down under both the washer and dryer to keep in place. When it's all said and done and I'm at that point to accessorize, I'll try it out. If it doesn't work like I would like it to I will take it back to the store and get a refund. No worries.

So then after supper I get crack-a-lacking and remove everything from the tiny, boring space to the loveseat and dining room. (It's gotta go somewhere, so this is what I must go through for now. It takes making a mess before it can be beautiful!) And I wipe down the walls, dust the woodwork and floors, and wipe down the appliances. Good to go! Have I told you before how I {love} to paint?! Well, not on the blog I haven't, but some of you that know me may have heard this before. Maybe once or twice. =) So I cut in without taping (so proud of myself!) and painted away, but not wanting to get too close to the ceiling and deal with all of the issues there (orange peel textured walls), I decide to add to my project ... solution being crown molding! Oh yeah, baby! I've never worked with it but have always wanted to. I love how it looks. And I'd have no problem mitering the corners to 45* angles, but I don't feel like it since this house wasn't built to perfection (you should see the kids' bathroom wall to understand what I mean!) I decided that I'd do those corner thingees and straight molding with no angled cuts. Yep. I think that will be easy enough and look fantastic.

Long story short, I finished up painting after midnight. But it's not done. I didn't have enough in the quart that I bought. Stupid textured walls! So I had to go back today for another quart. Lady at the paint counter asked if I just wanted to get a gallon and I told her, "You're a day late, lady. If you had asked me last night and I had remembered the texture on the walls when ordering my paint I'd have taken you up on that. But since I'm almost done, I'll just get another quart, thank you." {Smirky smile on my face the whole while I said it.} I also picked up some brackets and shelving to add (3) 12" x 36" shelves; one replacing that ucky ugly white wire shelf that was previously installed. I decided to put two of them above the current shelf (all of this above the washer) instead of the furniture piece that was laying sideways to give me extra storage. And when I got home I thought how cool it would be to do a wrap around shelf at least on the 3 walls above the washer, but it'd be over the door jams, too, so maybe (now that I'm thinking about it) it would be cool to do the entire span of the tiny not so boring anymore room. Hmmm?!?!

And we shall see how this dilema unfolds. Later. I'll post pics (hopefully of the original space, then what I had last done to better organize,) and what I'm currently working on. Later. I'll be finishing up the painting tonight.

And did I tell you that while trying to paint on the sides and behind the washer and dryer I had another wild hair - that makes the 3rd - of bead board around the entire bottom part of the room? I just don't know if I'd have to remove the baseboard molding and haven't looked online to see how to do that. Yet. So there may still be more to come one of these days. Hmmmm?!?! {wink}

What are you doing for DIY/Weekend warrior type stuff??

No comments:

Post a Comment