Thursday, February 16, 2012

Frito Pie - the real Frito Pie

Okay, so apparently "Frito Pie" doesn't mean the same thing every where you go. I learned this the hard way when we first moved to the DFW area. I was excited to see it on the menu somewhere and ordered it ready - salivating for the deliciousness that I was going to have placed in front of me shortly. Ummmm. Then it landed and I looked at it and the person who delivered it and asked, "What's this?" I received an answer of "Frito Pie. Isn't that what you asked for?" Well, yes and no. I did order that but this certainly isn't what I expected. Now I know that I can't be the only one who gets disappointed when you order and it comes totally different from everything you know!

So ... the very first time I experienced Frito Pie was at Lackland AFB, Texas, when I was first stationed there after Basic Training and Tech(nical) Training. There was a mini restaurant across the street from the building I worked in. I was hooked after only the first time having eaten it. {Heavenly goodness.} So the way they do it down there, and that I expect it to be and how I make it at home is like this ...

~ San Antonio style Frito Pie ~
Place some bagged salad mix in a bowl or plate (size of your choice). Add fritos (and don't skimp on generic here, people!). Scoop warm chili (with or without beans, but I like with) on top. Top with shredded cheese, diced onion, diced tomatoes, sour cream, and/or avocado to your tasting.

I guess it sounds a lot like a taco salad, but it's better. Fritos are much better than tortilla chips and it uses chili instead of ground beef or turkey. So the not so good version that I found here is just chili, fritos, cheese and maybe onions. Ummmm. No. While that does have fritos in it, it's called "chili" people. Seriously. What is wrong with people these days?! {Wink}

So. The next time you need to add something to your menu, try my fave Frito Pie - San Antonio style Frito Pie, that is. You can be good and serve this as clean as you'd like (minus the Fritos, of course). And I hope that you'll enjoy this. It's really one of our family faves. Great for weeknights, especially if you have a lot going on because you really only have to heat the chili and dice tomatoes/onions. Otherwise it's open this and put some onto your plate/bowl. Can't get much easier than that now can you?!

Ole!

No comments:

Post a Comment