Sunday, December 29, 2013

359 days since my last post - oh my!

WOWZA!! Almost a year since I posted and the new year just around the corner ... oopsie! It's been an interesting year with the hubster retired; less free time to do everything that I want because my family is together. Well. Except for the son who is in the Air Force and stationed oh, just a few miles away (like over a thousand). It's been a year of ups and downs, lots of loop-de-loops, and a range of emotions. If you are a military family you can understand what it's like to be reunited and have to restructure routines, responsibilities, sharing (like your bed when you're used to having it all to yourself - or the remote!), chores, etc. It's quite the task to reacquaint yourself after even a nominal time apart, but years ... it doesn't happen in the blink of an eye. I still think that at a little over a year now we are still working on it. Maybe that's because life is ever changing, so is how each day works and who does what. Maybe I'm just weird. Could be either. ;)

So I want to make changes.

For myself, I joined a new (not yet opened gym) that I pass on my way to and from work. I figure it will help me to get out of work on time and not be out of the way, so seems very logical. I need to get in better physical condition. It's now or never, baby! My goal is to work out - even if only spending time on the treadmill - each weekday for a minimum of 30 minutes, but up to 60 minutes. I don't want to be completely selfish and take too long when my family is at home; I want and need to see my babies and help them with homework, play together, etc. I don't want to be THAT PARENT that doesn't see their child during waking hours on weekdays. No, sir. No, ma'am. I am also going to try to eat better. Not just me, but dragging the whole family with me on this journey. They don't know that I'm doing this, so it should be very easy! I'm not sure how the hubby will feel if I cut his portions too much, but I'm going to try. He and I both could stand to lose some weight. As is the case with a LOT of people in the world. I'm not going to be drastic about anything, but logical and with an attempt that will hopefully last. I'm trying to work my way to clean - nothing processed (ie if it has ingredients that you can't pronounce it's not for consumption!) and eating better choices for snacks (nuts, fruits, veggies, cheese, yogurt, etc). I'm most concerned with myself, so I will focus most on my lunches and snacks throughout the day and then see what I can do for at home with the family. I refuse to give up my daily coffee (which is so rich with sugar, creamer, and sometimes whipped cream in it that it's not healthy at all, but I like it and enjoy it, so refuse to give it up). BUT. What I will do is drink more water (with lemons, limes, cucumbers, etc that I saw on Pinterest to help detox the body) and hot tea, unsweetened or barely sweetened since I'm kind of a sugar-a-holic. Green tea is supposed to be really good and it doesn't taste bad. Also passion tea - LOVE this!! It's supposed to be helpful before you go to bed.

We'll have more fun each month, doing assorted things. Movies, ice skating, roller skating, shooting, painting, educational stuff, library, parks, Xbox Kinect, reading, bike riding, hunting, fishing, hiking, swimming, and whatever else we can come up with along the way. Of course these all can't be done in each season (although some can), I want to do something fun every single week with my family. I want my children to look back on their childhood and remember fun times. That doesn't mean spending money. My Mom wasn't able to spend money, but we had time and I enjoyed what I had. I didn't realize we were so tight that my Mom couldn't eat every single day. I had no clue until I was older and she shared that with me. I admire and respect her so much for that. Now I haven't been in that situation; I've been tight, but I've always eaten along with my children. Quality doesn't equal quantity (of dollars spent). Quality can equal quantity (of time spent). But sometimes all it takes is your undivided attention for 5 minutes to make your child's day. Such an investment in your kiddos. =)

There's more, but for now I will stop. I don't want to bore you. And I'll try to be better with blogging. I'd like to see what I can do to document this journey of my goals, as it may inspire others. I know that seeing for yourself how someone has done what you'd like to do (like losing weight, saving money, having more time with your family) can be inspirational. I've cried reading other people's stories before. I know I'm not the only one. So I will do what I can to share my path. My own yellow brick road to a great life in 2014 and beyond. Follow me if you'd like. I'm happy to be here to lead if this is what you need.

Enjoy these last couple days of 2013. Remember to make all of your last minute tax choices while you can - donations (get receipts!), spending from your health accounts, adding to an IRA/529, etc. You only have two more business days to do so IF the places are open on the 31st.

Until next time ... be happy, people. Live happily and enjoy. Find the positive in every single day. There is some even if you have to look really hard to find it. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment